Well, I was running late for my baby, this is one of the most important vaccines you consider for your baby. The booster gives a real boost from the diseases like measles, mumps, and rubella as the name suggest MMR stands for measles, mumps, and rubella. It is the vaccine which is included in the WHO immunization schedule also. It protects the newborns from diseases like measles, mumps, and rubella. The dose of this medication is generally given around 12-15 months of age and the second dose is given at 4-6 years of age. There is a minimum of 4 weeks between both the doses.
MMR vaccine is given in the form of an injection, as in intramuscular injection basically. The people who are immunocompromised like the ones infected with HIV/ AIDS can be given this injection in order to protect the occurrence of other opportunistic infections.
What is MMR vaccine and why to take it?
The MMR injection is basically a combination of 3 vaccines that are measles, mumps and rubella vaccine given in the form of an intramuscular injection. It prevents the occurrence of these three diseases in the child in ensures him a healthy and productive life.
MMR Vaccine Cost in India 2019
|1||Morupar||Sanofi Aventis Pharma India||Vial||Rs 75|
|2||Sii Tresivac||Serum Institute of India Ltd||Injection||Rs154.80|
|3||Tresivac||Serum Institute of India Ltd||0.5ml||Rs96.25|
|4||Trimovax||Aventis Pasteur India Ltd.||Dose||Rs72|
|5||Trimovax Merieux||Serum International Ltd.||dose||Rs70.59|
*The prices in the vaccination chart are for the year 2019
Please note: This is general and best of our knowledge, Please consult a doctor before going for vaccination.
Follow Full Immunization Schedule here
Dosage of MMR vaccine
The children below the age of 12 years are included in the schedule for this vaccination. After giving the vaccination, the susceptibility of the child towards these diseases, measles, mumps, and rubella is decreased up to 97%. Following are the doses of giving the vaccination:
- 12-15 months – 1st dose
- 4-6 years- 2nd dose (booster dose)
Who should get the MMR vaccination?
- Children must receive this dose as mentioned above. The MMR vaccination is generally injected sometime later in the childhood because in the first stages of life the child already has some antibodies provided to him by his mother which can decrease the effect of this vaccine in those stages. So, their dose is given later in the childhood. Schools have inculcated this vaccination programme in their schedule so that none of their students remains non immunized. This is very essential for the proper growth and development of an individual and to be disease free.
- The international travelers carrying their children ranging between the age groups 6 months to 11 months of age ought to receive the dose of MMR vaccine. Children who are up to 12 months of age or older must receive two doses of MMR vaccination separated by at least 28 days.
- The healthcare personnel who work this patients must get themselves immunized against measles, mumps, and rubella with two doses separated by at least 28 days.
- The high-risk group that is the women who are planning to conceive must consult their doctor in order to make sure that they get vaccinated before they are pregnant.
- Also, the lactating mothers can get themselves immunized in case they do not have any past history of such immunization. This vaccine doesn’t interfere with the breastfeeding. The baby is not affected by this medication through breast milk.
Importance of MMR vaccine and their associates selling brands:
The MMR vaccine for babies has been recommended at 12-15 months of age and the second dose at 4-6 years of age. The MMR vaccine is sold under two main brand names which are M-M-R II and ProQuad sold by the manufacturer Merck. These are the two bestselling brands of MMR vaccine. The vaccine has been started as a necessary immunization in the schools and the age for MMR has also been specified above. It is very important for children to get immunized with MMR.
Side effects of the medication and how to deal with them: Since each and every medication has some or other side effects, MMR vaccine also possess some side effects. However, these are quite common and short-lived and there is no need to be tense if your child displays any of these-
- The after effects include a mild form of measles in the 1st week- 11 days after being injected with the dose. Rashes, high temperature, anorexia, fatigue, and lethargy are quite common for about 2-3 days.
- Also, a lesser percentage of children might develop a milder form of mumps which includes swelling in the cheeks, neck and under the jaw basically the parotid glands. This lasts for about 1-2 days.
- Women who are injected this medication might experience stiffness and pain in the joints for about first 3 days after getting the dose. There may be a minor sort of allergy which might appear as red rasher and itching.
There is nothing to be afraid of these side effects. A general practitioner can be consulted and antipyretics can be given. If the side effects do not subside even after 4-5 days then a consultation to the doctors must be made. However, this is very rare.
=> You may like to check Next Polio Drop Date in 2019
Form of vaccination
The vaccine is given in the form of an injection, intramuscularly and in the case of side effects, a report can be made under the yellow card scheme. The MMR dose is given in two doses, one being the starting dose and the other being booster dose.
The MMR vaccine is a combination for the vaccines measles, mumps, and rubella which has proved to be quite successful for the removal of diseases like measles, mumps, and rubella. These diseases can be eliminated with the help of the MMR vaccine.
Necessities of the vaccination – Why it is Important.
According to the recent governmental policy, MMR vaccination has been included as a necessary immunization to be done in the school going children in 6-12 years of age. This ensures that no child remains unimmunized and all are protected against the diseases.
Now, the cards are also offered by WHO which have proper immunization schedule written in them. Therefore, it becomes the responsibility of not only the government and the healthcare personnel but also each and every individual to take care of the future prosperities of this nation.
Do comment your question by the comment.
Latest posts by RK N (see all)
- HPV Vaccine Cost / Price & Schedule Chart in India - January 28, 2019
- TDAP Vaccine Price & Schedule Chart in India 2019 - January 25, 2019
- Polio Vaccine Date 2019 – Polio Drops Next Date, Cost & Price in India - January 25, 2019