As a mother, I have always been careful about the various types of vaccine that I have to give my child at the right time. I hope all of you out there have a similar thought process and that is why in this article, I will try to list down the details of the rotavirus vaccine
What is Rotavirus Vaccine?
Rotavirus is nothing but a virus that is known to cause diarrhea and other related conditions in both babies as well as young adults. The virus is quite serious and may lead to high fever along with nausea and vomiting. The rotavirus vaccine is the vaccine that will go a long way in helping to free your baby from all the above-mentioned conditions. One of the things that you must remember is the fact that in case your child has rotavirus before you take the vaccine, the vaccine shall not work.
Rotavirus Schedule & Cost in India
As mentioned above, the first dose of the vaccine is to be given to your child when he or she is around 6 weeks to 2 months of age. The cost of the same in India is somewhere around 1500 rupees.
The second dose is given between 10 weeks to 4 months and the price is same as above. Finally, the third dose is given when the child is 14 weeks to 6 months of age and the price is 1500 rupees
How Should You Use the Rotavirus Vaccine?
Before you administer the vaccine to your child, you should remember to consult your health care professional. The vaccine has to be given to your child along with all other vaccines that you give. Besides, you also need to remember the fact that the rotavirus vaccine has to be given in a series of two to three doses. The time difference between each dose should be somewhere around 4 to 10 weeks.
Precautions That You Should Take While Giving the Rotavirus Vaccine?
I was advised of the following precautions that have to keep in mind by every parent when they are trying to administer the rotavirus vaccine into their child:
- The vaccine is known to contain a few ingredients that can go a long way in causing some or the other type of allergic reaction into your child. Hence, before administering the virus to your child, it is advisable to inform your doctor about the allergy that your child is prone to.
- Do not forget to talk about the medical history of your child. Some of the diseases, which if the child suffers need to be avoided in order to administer the vaccine includes blood-related disorders, current fever, illness, unable to gain weight, problems related to immunity of one or the other type, etc.
- In case you have a family member who is suffering from diseases related to weak immunity, or diseases such as cancer, etc. also needs to be adequately informed to your medical expert
- If you or someone else is in close contact with your child, he or she should be careful enough to maintain proper hygiene in case adequate vaccination is being administered to your child
Who Should Not Get the Vaccine?
As per my doctor, the following type of people should not get the vaccine.
- A mother who is breastfeeding or a woman who is pregnant
- A child who has diseases related to immunity conditions
- If your child is taking steroids for a long time
- If someone is undergoing cancer-related treatment
Thus, the above article lists down the meaning, importance, the schedule and the price of the all -important rotavirus vaccine